Friday, October 7, 2011

Wishing For Rain

I want it to rain. I don't want a drizzle or flash flood that only lasts a few minutes.
These little continual storms are exhausting.
I want a torrential downpour!
I want to push my feet into the cold sodden earth and fall to my knees.
I want large heavy drops to fall down upon my face and take with them some of my tears.
I want LOUD thunder. I will scream and wail with it, holding my head in my hands, looking toward the darkened sky.
I need it to rain, this pain cannot be washed away but I need to be cleansed.
I will throw my hands out and fall completely into the ground sinking deeper into the mud that surrounds me.
I want to open my mouth and drink from the sky as if I could drink enough to fill this hole inside of me without drowning.
Just a drop in the ocean.
Maybe someday I will drink enough to want the clouds to leave. Will the sun come to warm me? Will I feel the warmth of the light? Will it awaken what has died within my soul?
-Jenalea Johnson

Let the rain kiss you. Let the rain beat upon your head with silver liquid drops. Let the rain sing you a lullaby.
-Langston Hughes


No comments:

Post a Comment